Tuesday, September 30, 2008

OUR CHILD DOES NOT SLEEP. He started out as a dream baby, sleeping through the night at 6 weeks old. Then, at 3 1/2 months we went on an extended vacation and moved, and it has all been downhill from there. The ear infection, two teeth, and change in weather have not helped the last month either. I have tried everything, any ideas? I'm a walking nightmare. He's up every 2 hours in the night.



17 comments:

emily a. said...

Well, I'm no expert but I'm guessing you need to let him cry it out for a few nights to get him back on track. He's old enough that he doesn't need to eat.

I'm sorry- I can relate obviously but am hoping you can get some good sleep soon.

Nazar said...

I would have to agree with Emily. I know that it will be painful, but if you let him at least try to cry himself to sleep(let him cry for about 10-15mins before you go into his room), both of you will thank you for it:)

Jennifer said...

What a pain! I can't imagine what that must be like. Good thing it's happening to a patient, loving mother such as yourself :) I think I'd rip my hair out. Lane's always been a good sleeper, so I'm not sure what I'd do. But yeah, like the above comments, perhaps just see if he'll cry it out a little. I know Lane sometimes cries in his sleep a little, and we never go in there and he gets quiet after a few minutes. Poor sweet Hyrum! I'm a little nervous for when Lane teethes; is this normal?!?

Ryan and Renee said...

Have you heard of babywise? I did it and have a marathon sleeper. It's a great method. It's a book you can get almost anywhere. Pretty much it boils down to a strict schedule. Eat, Play, Sleep. I love this book. Good luck!

Jane said...

Cry it out worked for us! It feels harsh, but it worked for me and all my friends in 3 days or less. They learn pretty quick that you aren't coming for nothing! :) Good luck. Ugh....sooooo hard to function without a full night. I feel your pain!

Dynamic Chiropractic said...

You should look into a chiropractor. I kow this seems a little strange, but it works for me. When my little boy starts having problems sleeping at night I take him in and get him adjusted. To find a pediatric chiro visit icpa4kids.org

{Erica} said...

without writing a whole schpeel....let him cry it out. he needs to learn how to sooth himself. the more you go in there the longer he'll cry next time because he expects you to come.

email me if you want to know more :) some mom's just can't let their little ones cry it out. I had to take turns wiith bret being the "strong one" for the night.

MissMel said...

Music?
I don't know. Connor would wake up all through the night until he was 6 or 9 months old. It was hell. Once, I prayed really hard and he went back to sleep. That was a good night.
This too shall pass....someday. Hugs and sympathy,
mel

Melanie Chambers said...

Oh Sunny, we have a non sleeper as well. Except Chloe wakes at 545 cheerful and ready to go. I tried the cry out method, but after an hour that just isn't a good thing. Our doc said once they "get going" crying it out may not work. we just soothed her the best we could, often giving her a bottle, sometimes going in multiple times. and after about 1 month or less she just stopped doing it. These little ones...

Annie Ruden said...

You poor thing. I'm feeling your pain.

Sarah said...

Sunny! Lily is the EXACT same way! she started out such a great sleeper, but lately she wakes up at least twice a night. My doctor said that she can go up to 8 hours with out food so I let her cry one night, but after an hour and a half, I couldn't take it anymore! And everytime we went in to soothe her, she just cried louder. I feel your pain! If you find anything that works for you, let me know and I'll do the same!
Good luck!

ike and em said...

Bradden--

So fun to see what your darling family is up to! Hyrum is adorable. Hope you're doing well.

Emily
www.ikeandem.blogspot.com

Amy Gelwix said...

I'm so sorry to hear that! There's nothing like losing sleep when you feel like you had it made. And two teeth...those hurt. Jane still has yet to get ANY though.

RIck and Ella-Rene said...

I love you beautiful mother....

I have no great secret, I remember myself crying(alot) during those frustrating and trying years

Parenting is the hardest and most rewarding thing I ever did.


Sure do love grandparenthood.

Stu Anderson said...

We built a giant milk dispenser that hangs above Ava's bed. When she wakes up at night she can roll over and suck on the dispenser like a little lab rat. During the day we let her wear a Camel Back filled with milk.

Sorry for the rough nights Sunny. We hope things get better for you, and that lil Hyrum will start sleeping through the night. We read a book called, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby", it has helped in teaching our little Monster how to sleep through the night. Check it out...good luck.
Stu

The Glads ... said...

The same thing happened to us with Sasha. She was 3 1/2 months old when we moved to Washington and didn't sleep through the night until she was about 8 months old. So, good luck! Brit did something he saw on the "supernanny" and it worked. That lady knows what she is talking about! If you want to know exactly what, shoot me an email and I will give you all the details.

Good luck guys! Welcome to parenthood!

Brooke said...

sun, it is always something, isn't it? Good luck!!

I liked the ideas in 'The Baby Whisperer' where you pick up the baby to console them then put them right back to bed. Pure 'crying it out' was too hard for me to listen to... but we are in an apartment. Of course every kid is different and only Mom's know best. I hope everything works out soon!

Will you be in UT for any of the holidays?