I officially have come to the realization that as I grow older I become more like my father and mother! This post is in tribute to my my father, Richard Nelson Cannon. A little background to my story: In Iowa they charge you 5 cents per pop can that you buy. Now that I am back on Body for Life, down 12 pounds, I drink a lot more diet soda because I can only drink so much water in a day. Now, I purposely keep the cans that I drink, due to this extra charge and Sunny helps me remember that it is good for the environment! Depending on how much you drink this adds up pretty quick! So, on the way home from work on Friday I walked past a can of Dr. Thunder (cheap version of Dr. Pepper) and as I past it I thought to myself "5 cents". I turned around and walked back to the can, picked it up, and the first thought that came to my head was my dad doing the same thing my whole life! The only difference was that he would've flattened the can with his foot and thrown it in the back of his truck. All of my siblings will attest to this process and even though he is in China right now, I am sure that he is still collecting cans to recycle and collect his 5 cents!
So I am sure that one day I will buy a truck, wear my 25+ year old jeans with holes that have patches over them, unbutton the top of my pants as I eat too much, and lick my plate clean at the end of Sunday dinner! Hoping that one day Hyrum will call me laughing and say, "Dad, as I grow older I find myself becoming more like you."


The first picture was taken right after my Farewell and the second picture is the picture we are holding up. So, some might say that we look alike, which I would agree with them, but now I am starting to pick up some of those traits that I though I would never pick up!

5 comments:
It's good (and scary) that we get more and more like our parents as we age. I have been finding myself thinking about it more and more lately. By the way, Hyrum is such a cutie!
I love that picture (which is not currently showing on the blog)
but mostly,I also love that you have your dad in you. He is a good man!!!!
(yes when he gets enough can money he does take me out to dinner)
Genetically induced habits and peculiarities are not such a bad thing.
love your dad
After all it was my father who wandered the neighborhood picking up leaves in the fall in his baggy and holey pants to put on his garden.
At least you are helping the environment and when you get enough finances from the cans you can take Sunny and Hyrum out to dinner.
Hey Bradden. Just tonight, Amy and I were talking about how we have a hard time throwing cardboard away. During our stint with my grandparents, they recycled everything! Orem had a garbage can just for recyclables. Layton does not. Just tonight, Amy was looking up costs to pay for a recycling service. Funny how our elders (fathers or grandfathers) wear off on us. Miss you bro.
Oh, and that picture of your dad.. holy cow. Wow you guys look alike.
Post a Comment