LITTLE GUY’S BIRTH STORY
So, I thought I needed to do an as-short-as-possible report on the birth story of our little miracle, Hyrum. After being 8 days over-due, we felt at peace about the decision to be induced for the little guy to get here. I was hesitant, as I wanted to wait a few more days to see if he would get here on his own, as I wanted to do as much labor at home as possible before going to the hospital. But I know having a baby you need to be flexible, as it does not always “go” the way you imagined it. I also knew that as you approach 2 weeks post-date, risks out-way the benefits of still being pregnant as far as health matters for the baby. We went into the hospital on Sunday night at 8 p.m. I tried to relax all day and just focus on positive things, rather than the pain of labor. May I say, there is a lot of junk our there and a negative outlook on labor and delivery. The last past of my pregnancy, I tried to block out all of the “negatives” and focus on the miracle of what I had the blessing of participating in. Reading positive books, birth therapy techniques, and practicing my breathing and keeping active really helped me. When we arrived at the hospital, as pill was placed in me to see if it would “kick start” my labor without needing a pitocin drip. After three hours of the pill, a second dose was not needed as contractions started on their own, which was what I had hoped for. At 12:00 pm the contractions were starting to come on pretty strong, and I was able to get up and walk around the hospital halls and labor in the birthing tub. Mind you, I had taken the second half of my sleeping before the contractions were too strong, and so I was a little loopy! Bradden was right there by my side holding my hand the whole time, never letting go, and was my biggest support. I had an epidural at 6:00 am, and it gave me a great break and. Labor progressed, and they broke my water to find that the baby had pooped of me (merkoniam). At that point, I felt grateful that we had decided to be induced because it can be dangerous for babies. Just before 11:00 pm, I started to try to push the little guy out!! He didn’t arrive until about 2 hours later at 12:49 p.m. They tried to suck all of the yucky stuff out of his mouth and nose before he took his first breath. Then, as he came into the world, I looked down at him and saw it was a boy and just burst into tears, Bradden yelled “It’s a boy” and I had never had a more magical moment. They then swept him away for the Neo-Natologist to make sure his little lungs were okay and check him. I felt so blessed to have a wonderful nursing and doctor staff and the best husband at my side the whole entire time that I had been hoping and praying for. The whole experience was beautiful, spiritual and never to be forgotten. We waited a long time for our little one to arrive, and now I feel like the luckiest mama in the world.

4 comments:
oh my. how fun, nervous and exciting. i am so very happy for you. i hope you are all doing well and i cannot wait to meet your new little man. love you!
Rock on guys. Kim and I are way stoked that all went well for you. We are excited for our Joseph to play with your Hyrum. My kids are all excited to see your baby.
We love you.
Mike and Kim
Sunny...I am so glad you focused on the positive instead of the negitive for the whole pre-and-post delivery for Hyrum. It helps so much to focus on the positive. I tried to do the same with my twin pregnancy, i believe that helped my girls get here as healthy as they were. Doctors kept telling me to prepare for the death of both babies. I refused to believe them! Positive thinking impacts the outcome. I am sure that Hyrum is as healthy as he is because of the wonderful mothering you did for him in utero. I am so glad that you all are doing okay!!! Thanks for sharing Hyrums birth story on your blog. He is such a cute baby...looks so mature for his age!! LOTS of LOVE to you------
I'm glad that you had a good experience. I LOVED everything about the labor and delivery process when I went through it. It's amazing what the human body can do.
Congrats again. He looks so sweet.
Post a Comment