Saturday, February 02, 2008

FALSE ALARM!
Here I am 2 days before the due date. So-we had a little false alarm 2 nights ago. I woke up at about 12:30 am with a back-ache and Braxton-Hicks contractions at the same time. (which by the way I didn't even really know what the things even felt like until a week or two ago). I laid in bed for about 1/2 hour before I woke up Bradden and I said calmly, "I think something may be starting". Well, my dear sweet husband acted just opposite than I imagined. He said, very tired, "Well, what do you want ME to do?" Emphasis on the "ME". (Like I was going to go wake up the neighbor or something) I just said, "Just rest, I'll see if they get any worse." Well- He said "I am going back to sleep then, and can we turn on the fan?" I had just turned it off because I was SHIVERING!! He got up and turned it on, and just went back to sleep! About 1/2 hour later he said, "I just can't sleep... I'm taking a shower, and why are you so CALM?" Then, he disappeared downstairs for another over 30 minutes without another word! Meanwhile, I am upstairs laying in bed in shock wondering who this strange person is, who is always so caring an sensitive. Then, after I heard him cooking a meal, washing dishes, and watching TV, I finally said down the stairs, "Bradden, what are you doing". I just looked at his face and he looked so stressed and he was eating toast for a 2 a.m. dessert after making himself and EGG/HAM sandwich. We have been married for 2 years, and he has NEVER woken up in the middle of the night to eat anything!! He said, "Well, if you are going into labor, I'm not going to be able to eat for a while... so I thought I should eat something!" I thought that his focus would be a little more on me like, "Could I rub your back, time you contractions, or possibly get you some water?" Then he just came upstairs, got in the shower and went back to sleep, because I was starting to doze off. The backache faded, and then I got up at 7:00 am for work. When I got out of the shower, Bradden was still sleeping and I said, "You had better get up, you are going to be late!" He said, "No-- I am going back to bed! I called in and said I am going to be late because we had a false alarm!!" Then, he just kinda fell asleep again and I rushed off to work because I had a student clinician observing me for the day. I was shocked/ jealous that he was still in bed. It was just all so out of sorts for him and it made me laugh. I was cool as a cucumber, and he was just so SCARED!! Usually it is the opposite with us. He keeps me calm and I think of the worst possible situations! After work yesterday, we just laughed about it all. And yes, I made a few suggestions on how he could possibly handle the situation a little better. And, it didn't include not speaking to your wife during possible labor and retreating downstairs for a midnight buffet.

5 comments:

emily a. said...

I just about choked 3 times while I was reading this post to Ryan because I was laughing SO hard. This is possibly the funniest pre-birth story I have ever heard and we are so glad you documented it. Okay, so funny. GOOD LUCK Sunny and Bradden. The mini is coming soon!

Jackson & Catherine Lever said...

This is hillarious! Thanks for the good laugh!!! Brought back memories when I was in Labor and Jackson had me drive myself over and meet him at the ER so he could het a few more mins of studying in. Hope you have your baby soon!

The Petrini Post said...

What a fun story! Hopefully when the time really comes, he'll offer to make you something to eat because once you get the hospital, they will not let you eat or drink until you have the baby...it's true. I can't wait to see pictures of the little munchkin. Good luck!

marcie b said...

men! seriously....you have to wonder sometimes, right? you look amazing for a woman who is 9+ months pregnant and i can't wait to find out who your little person is.

Katrina said...

I told him to bring food to the delivery, not make it right then! I love that he is a little nervous and you are calm. You guys will be wonderful parents! Really, you look like you are five months along...lucky girl...